Winter is nearly here, and more than 15,500 asylum seekers are trapped on Greece’s islands in worsening weather conditions. European Union-sponsored processing centres housing them are filthy and overcrowded – many people, including women and children, are forced to sleep in summer tents or on the ground.
This is happening because Greece, with the support of other EU countries, has put in place a containment policy to prevent asylum seekers from leaving the islands to the mainland. But the Greek government can change this. They can ensure that by December 21, the start of winter, no one sleeps in these arduous conditions. It is high time they ended this inhumane containment and #opentheislands.
Campaign update! The Greek Government has said that they plan to move 5,000 asylum seekers from Greek islands to the mainland by 17 December. Your voices are being heard! We still need to make sure those people are moved before winter, and we need the containment policy lifted so that this situation doesn’t happen again so lets keep up the momentum!
Please tell Greece’s Prime Minister to end the containment of asylum seekers on the Islands by December 21, and call on other European leaders to support Greece in doing so!
“It’s time for Greece to protect the thousands of asylum-seeking women, men and children trapped on Greek islands in terrible living conditions. Please declare an end to the containment policy on the islands and allow people to move to mainland Greece. As a matter of urgency, and in parallel with lifting the containment policy, a minimum of at least 7,500 people should be transferred to mainland Greece by December 21 so no one sleeps in the bitter cold in the winter. Every day that the containment policy stays in place, the avoidable impact of this inhumane policy becomes more apparent.”
Copy the above text and share it on Facebook
Email Greek Prime Minister
SUPPORTERS / PARTNERS / PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATIONS
- Two years after the EU-Turkey Deal: a humanitarian tragedy for refugees and asylum seekers
- Access to Justice is an Absolute Human Right for All
- BUSINESS FOR YOUth: SOLIDARITYNOW YOUTH ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROGRAM
- ANTIGONE LYBERAKIS IN KATHIMERINI: From Monica to Zainab: education “counts” on freedom of choice
- Comprehensive service provision through Blue Dot approach in regions of mainland Greece
- Greece: Urgent Need to Move Asylum Seekers from Islands
- 1 out of 3 Greeks and 1 out of 6 Refugees and Migrants found Work with the support of SolidarityNow
- Concerns for hundreds of unaccompanied children sleeping rough in Greece this winter
- Greece: Move Asylum Seekers to Safety Before Winter Hits
- 20 organisations continue to press Greek Officials and EU States to transfer asylum seekers to the mainland and offer improved reception conditions