Winter is nearly here, and more than 15,500 asylum seekers are trapped on Greece’s islands in worsening weather conditions. European Union-sponsored processing centres housing them are filthy and overcrowded – many people, including women and children, are forced to sleep in summer tents or on the ground.
This is happening because Greece, with the support of other EU countries, has put in place a containment policy to prevent asylum seekers from leaving the islands to the mainland. But the Greek government can change this. They can ensure that by December 21, the start of winter, no one sleeps in these arduous conditions. It is high time they ended this inhumane containment and #opentheislands.
Please tell Greece’s Prime Minister to end the containment of asylum seekers on the Islands by December 21, and call on other European leaders to support Greece in doing so!
“It’s time for Greece to protect the thousands of asylum-seeking women, men and children trapped on Greek islands in terrible living conditions. Please declare an end to the containment policy on the islands and allow people to move to mainland Greece. As a matter of urgency, and in parallel with lifting the containment policy, a minimum of at least 7,500 people should be transferred to mainland Greece by December 21 so no one sleeps in the bitter cold in the winter. Every day that the containment policy stays in place, the avoidable impact of this inhumane policy becomes more apparent.”
Copy the above text and share it on Facebook
Email Greek Prime Minister
SUPPORTERS / PARTNERS / PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATIONS
- SolidarityNow goes to the METRO! SolidarityNow awareness campaign for the “Home for Hope” project
- SolidarityNow’s awareness-raising campaign «Banish Fear. Give Shelter» is on air!
- SOLIDARITY NOW Home for Hope campaign TVC
- George Soros: Why I invest 500 million dollars for the refugees
- George Soros: Saving Refugees to Save Europe
- ΠΡΟΣΚΛΗΣΗ ΤΩΝ ΜΕΛΩΝ ΤΟΥ ΣΩΜΑΤΙΟΥ “ΑΛΛΗΛΕΓΓΥΗ SOLIDARITYNOW” ΣΕ ΕΚΤΑΚΤΗ ΓΕΝΙΚΗ ΣΥΝΕΛΕΥΣΗ
- Following their Footsteps: a joint program from 5 organizations to ensure the basic human rights of unaccompanied minors
- Mobile Units Program for Refugees in Piraeus from SolidarityNow
- Press Conference for the Program “Actions for Refugeess in Thessaliniki – Hospitality Services and Support”
- Visit of members of the Social Democratic Party of Germany to the Athens Solidarity Center