World Refugee Day: Empowerment and solidarity through arts and culture
On the occasion of World Refugee Day, we have the pleasure to invite you to a cultural and participatory celebration together with refugees. The event will take place on Wednesday, 20 June, at 7.30 pm, in Technopolis City of Athens (venue: Purifier, D10).
Artistic workshops, painting exhibitions, film screenings, sports, music, food and dancing, with the active participation of refugee communities, will highlight the beauty that lies in diversity and the power of culture as a vehicle for integration and empowerment.
The event’s programme will include:
19:30 pm. – 20:15 pm.
- Screening of short films, created in cooperation with refugees, in the framework of the “Home New Home” project (StoryDoc). This will be followed by a discussion.
20:15 pm. – 21:30 pm.
- Interactive drama workshop by the Greek Forum of Refugees (Chalil Alizada)
- Arts and crafts workshop (HARTS)
- Social Circus (Anasa Cultural Center)
- Cricket demonstration by refugee children (Doctors of the World)
- Painting workshop by Nakam (SolidarityNow)
- Traditional cooking class from Syria, Afghanistan, Africa and preparation of Ethiopian coffee
21:30 pm. – 22:30 pm.
- Traditional music from Syria, Afghanistan and Iran
In addition, the event will include an art exhibition with:
- Art works from children hosted in Estia refugee shelter (ARSIS-Association for the Social Support of Youth)
- Paintings by Faisal (PRAKSIS)
- Paintings by Ahmad, Nakam και Majed Ebraheem (SolidarityNow)
- Awarded entries in the framework of UNHCR’s 2017 National Student Contest about refugees, on the topic “We Live Together”
Organized by: Greek Forum of Refugees and refugee communities
- Afghan Community of Refugees and Migrants in Greece
- Burundian Community
- Cameroon Community
- Chinese Community
- Congolese Community
- Ethiopian Community
- Kurdish Community
- Nigerian Community
- Somali refugee Community
- Sudanese Community
- The Syrian Roof
About World Refugee Day
First marked in 2001, World Refugee Day is held every year on 20 June. On World Refugee Day we come together to recognize and honor the strength, courage and resilience of millions of people around the world who have been forced to flee their homes. Every year, on this day, campaign, events and activities are organized worldwide, with the participation of refugees, the general public, local communities, authorities, aid agencies and other organizations.