Position: Social Scientist
Location: Thessaloniki – Greece
Starting Date: ASAP
Status: Full Time
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Focal point of communication and exchange between (a cluster of) hosting and hosted populations;
- Directly supports and coaches beneficiaries through the usage of simple communication and moral uplifting techniques;
- Assesses and addresses social needs of the beneficiaries, identifies and follows up cases that require special care;
- Performs case management in cooperation with other project staff and potentially SN partners involved in services provision;
- Cooperates with interpreters where needed for the provision of her/his services;
- Closely cooperates with other team members, passing on the information and expressing the need of action clearly and concisely;
- Keeps social register files and statistical records of the caseload and services’ provision;
- Performs social work duties and undertakes procedures implementation when referral(s) to other services are required;
- Regular and ad hoc reporting and fact finding.
Qualifications & skills
- University degree from an accredited academic in Humanities or Social Sciences;
- Experience in social work within the civil society sector, preferably working with vulnerable groups and refugees/migrants;
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, using initiative when appropriate;
- Confidence with IT tools and software;
- Ability to work unsupervised and at flexible working schedules;
- Ability to troubleshoot and ease potential tensions between the project’s beneficiaries;
- Ability to perform fact finding tasks; clearly articulate results in a fair and balanced way;
- Strong communication skills;
- Basic knowledge of humanitarian sector and stakeholders in Thessaloniki;
- Previous experience in street-work and/or a job entailing direct contact and exchange with groups of beneficiaries, clients, students etc.;
- Understanding and speaking of Arabic, Kurdish, Farsi, Pashtu or Urdu; French;
- Awareness of the cultural background of Arabic speaking and Asian (i.e. Afghani, Pakistani, Iranian) populations, in the context of the current people on the move emergency.
If you are interested in applying, please fill send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 25th August, 2017, mentioning in the email subject “Social Scientist_Thessaloniki”
SN is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities and from vulnerable and disadvantaged groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the urgency of recruitment, SN reserves the right to complete the process even before the deadline for CV submissions.