Starting Date: ASAP
Status: Full Time
Child Safeguarding Policy: Level 3 – Job holder will have regular contact with children.
Reports To: ASC Coordinator
The Child Friendly Space Facilitator provides educational activities and creative engagement for children beneficiaries of the Athens Solidarity Center. S/he facilitates access and ensures overall smooth functioning of the space, and s/he is responsible for the well-being of the children under their care. S/he must always supervise the children to ensure that they play and interact with one another in a safe and appropriate manner. A part of the role will involve providing the children with an exciting, educational, and fun curriculum. The duties also include coming up with creative and educational activities and maintaining a clean and child-friendly environment. The Child Friendly Space Facilitator should promote fair play, collaboration, and critical thinking.
We are looking for a warm and caring person, who enjoys working with children, and with other adults as part of a multidisciplinary team of professionals.
- Ensure a safe and child-friendly atmosphere within the Child Friendly Space
- Ensure the availability of a variety of games and activities within the Child Friendly Space, catering to the needs of children of different ages, genders, and abilities
- Provide emotional support, physical comfort, and social interaction
- Ensure that children have good hygiene
- Ensure that children feel comfortable, safe, and respected
- Clean interactive areas throughout the day
- Screen for and monitor protection needs and gaps in and around the Child Friendly Space
- Keep records of each child’s progress, interests and any problems that may occur
- Maintain contact with the children’s parents and contact them in the case of an emergency
- Use a wide range of teaching methods (storytelling, media, indoor or outdoor games, drawing etc.) to enhance the child’s abilities
- Observe each child to help them improve their social competencies and build self-esteem
- Encourage children to interact with each other and resolve occasional arguments
- Guide children to develop their artistic and practical capabilities through a carefully constructed curriculum (identify shapes, numbers or colors, do crafts etc.)
- Collaborate with other colleagues
- University Degree in Social Sciences (i.e. Education, Psychology, Social Work etc)
- Minimum one-year professional experience in similar position
- Experience in community mobilization
- Cross-cultural awareness and flexibility
- Excellent patience and stamina for keeping up with the demands of children of all ages
- Advanced multitasking and organizational skills to handle multiple children at a time
- Patience, flexibility and love for children
- Methodical and creative
- Well organized and efficient
- Excellent communication and instructional skills
- Ability to act as mediator between children
- Ability to work on own initiative and at the same time as part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.
- Valid CPR and first-aid certifications
- Good report writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of child development and up-to-date education methods
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Familiarity with safety and sanitation guidelines for classrooms
- Field working experience in camps/temporary settlements of refugee/migrant population
- Engagement in refugee focused projects
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com mentioning in the email subject “Child-Friendly Space Facilitator _ Athens”.
SN is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities and from vulnerable and disadvantaged groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Recruitment processes reflect SN’s commitment to keeping children safe from harm and abuse. Employment is subject to SN Child protection standards, including background checks and adherence to SN Child Safeguarding Policy.
Due to the urgency of recruitment, SN reserves the right to complete the process as soon as a suitable candidate has been identified. Interested candidates should submit their applications (CV and motivation letter) no later than August 11th, 2023.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Remarks: Before submitting your CV, please read carefully the employees’ privacy notice on the processing of personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 and the respective Greek legislation.
For roles that will have regular contact with vulnerable populations SolidarityNow is obliged to seek information about criminal convictions and offences, and selected candidates will be requested to provide a recent copy of criminal record.
Following the preventive measures against COVID-19, holding a vaccination certificate or undergoing Covid-19 antigen tests as per government directions is mandatory.