The “Pathway to All Children in Education (ACE)” project aims to facilitate the integration of refugee and migrant children in the formal education setting through the provision of non-formal education (NFE) services in Homework and Creative Activities Centres (HCACs) and other complementary activities.
The project will be implemented in 6 regions across mainland Greece, namely: Attica, Central Greece, Central and Eastern Macedonia, Epirus, and Western Greece. Non-formal education services will be directly provided in 12 Open Accommodation Sites across mainland Greece and 3 urban centres (Athens, Thessaloniki and Ioannina), while support activities for integration in formal education will be provided to migrant and refugee children residing in all aforementioned regions. SolidarityNow is leading a consortium which includes the Greek Council of Refugees (with implementation in Athens), the Melissa Network (Athens) and OMNES association (Kilkis).
All locations benefiting from HCAC, will be staffed by a multidisciplinary educational team combining various educational specialties, and supported by interpreters, responsible for delivering a harmonized package of NFE services.
The project will:
- Support the development of linguistic competencies, with emphasis on a communicative approach to language teaching (focusing on Greek and English), as well as scientific and digital literacy;
- Offer effective homework support to assist students’ daily school responsibilities, preventing the phenomenon of early dropout;
- Place Social and Emotional Learning (SEL), psychosocial support (PSS), civic education, life skills related activities and metacognitive learning strategies at the core of the intervention to further students’ empowerment, independent work and resilience;
- Enhance adolescents’ lessons with vocational training, employability workshops and support to access tertiary education opportunities to address the challenges of the transition from adolescence to adulthood;
- Focus on school readiness for the younger students (aged 4-6 years old) to set the appropriate foundation for future educational progress;
- Identify and provide specialized support to children in need with the support of social scientists and psychologists.
*The project “All Children in Education” (ACE) is implemented by SolidarityNow with support and funding from UNICEF.