SolidarityNow was established in 2013. Through our initiatives and the services provided to the Greek, migrant and refugee populations, we seek to restore the vision of a strong Europe based on solidarity and open society values.
Our main objective is to support the most vulnerable members of our society indiscriminately, through innovative social actions.
We implement programs in several areas across Greece, including urban and rural settings. At the same time, we develop focused interventions in refugee camps to support the most vulnerable populations.
The values we stand for
- Ensure that people are safe and have access to vital resources and services
- Encourage people to realize their potential for long term economic well-being and self-reliance
- Empower people to be aware of their rights in order to make decisions that affect their lives
- Enable the strengthening and independence of Greek Civil Society by defending open society values
Since 2013, SolidarityNow has supported at total of 73 different programs. Of these, 14.4 million euros have been allocated to 48 programs that provide support to the public in Greece, along with an additional 10 million euros allocated to 25 programs that specifically address the migrant and refugee crises. To implement these programs, SolidarityNow works with over 70 organizations, including civil society groups and public bodies.
Our primary donors include: UNHCR, UNICEF, CARE International, the Radcliffe Foundation, EEA Grants, the Norwegian Embassy in Greece, etc.
- Catalyzing livelihood opportunities
- Enabling access to education, promoting integration
- Defending and promoting human rights
- Providing shelter and accommodation
PILLARS OF ACTION
Our mission becomes practice through three main pillars of action:
SolidarityNow designs and implements programs that provide assistance and support to those most affected by the economic downturn and the humanitarian crisis. We collaborate with international humanitarian agencies (e.g. UNHCR, UNICEF, CARE International) to implement programs in a manner that promotes efficiency and allows us to reach the broadest range of beneficiaries, including vulnerable populations.
These programs focus on:
- responding to the ongoing refugee crisis
- providing access to basic health services and food aid
- defending human rights and freedoms
- supporting the integration of minorities and vulnerable groups
SolidarityNow has created two Solidarity Centers that operate in Thessaloniki and Athens.
Each Solidarity Center serves as a central space for civil society organizations to provide various services to the most vulnerable populations of the city. The services offered are free of charge and include primary healthcare, medication, legal aid and counseling, job training and employment services and support programs for parents and children.
Through our funding grants we design programs with other non-governmental organizations that respond to the essential social needs of the community. These programs are implemented in ways that empowers recipients to manage the challenges of their daily lives with dignity.