Job title: Student group coordinator
Starting Date: 15/3/2019
Status: Part Time
Child safeguarding policy:
Level 3 The job holder will have regular contact with children
The Student group coordinator works to identify and connect student volunteers from Thessaloniki universities to form student groups interested in refugee education and access to tertiary education, and coordinate them in establishing Greek conversation clubs for refugees and student volunteers. The position holder is also in charge of training the volunteers, and identifying, organizing and facilitating other student-led services to refugees. The position in question is part of a program implemented by SolidarityNow in partnership with STAR UK. The overall aim of the position holder is to engage, inspire and empower students at universities in Thessaloniki to take action to welcome refugees to Greece with SolidarityNow.
Position within the Organization:
Hierarchical Responsible: Project Manager
Develop and support student groups
- Work at universities to identify potential for student groups.
- Build and maintain relationships with students, supporting and empowering them to convene student-led refugee support groups at their university.
- Empower and support student group leaders through training and 1:1 coaching to run effective student groups.
- Support student leaders to recruit student members.
- Work closely with STAR UK to share good practice and develop new resources.
- Attend two STAR meetings in the UK annually to share good practice and build collaboration.
- Identify and enable student leaders to attend UK meetings.
Support STAR groups to deliver service delivery projects, fundraising events and educational activities about refugees
- Work with Project Manager to establish Greek Conversation Club at SolidarityNow’s drop-in.
- Recruit and train student volunteers to deliver Greek Conversation Clubs and other projects to support refugees.
- Work with the project manager to devise and develop additional service delivery projects at SolidarityNow.
- Provide 1:1 support to student leaders to enable them to deliver student volunteer-led services to refugees.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with individuals and organisations who can deliver activities with the groups to educate students about refugees.
- Understand and explain key principles in working with refugees; monitor students’ effective communication and respectful relationship with refugees.
Training & Resources
- Assess student volunteers’ training needs and deliver training or engage trainers.
- Develop and produce handbooks and training materials including online resources.
- Assist with the development and delivery of STAR student meetings.
- Lead on the creation and distribution of student group materials such as stickers and flyers.
- Ensure student volunteers are provided with regular information on activities and opportunities.
- Ensure student volunteers are provided with up-to-date information on asylum in Greece and refugees globally.
- Communicate effectively with advocacy staff to draft and advise on advocacy priorities pertaining to refugee university education.
Monitoring and reporting
- Devise and deliver monitoring and data collection on the activities and outcomes of the student groups.
- Maintain records of the activities and outcomes of the student groups.
- Assist the project manager in producing monitoring and evaluation reports.
- Collect and maintain contact lists for student group members, groups and alumni.
- Report comprehensively on the progress of the project to the project manager.
- Set up and maintain accessible and up to date records of student groups, activities, budgets etc.
- Organise and lead travel to UK meetings with STAR for post holder and students.
- Represent and promote the student volunteering project at external events and meetings.
- Visit student groups and partner projects across the UK.
- Ensure all student volunteer group activities are led by the needs of the refugees and asylum seekers in Greece.
- Undertake other tasks directed by SolidarityNow as relevant and commensurate with the post.
Required qualifications and skills
- Excellent command of Greek and English
- Understanding of and commitment to SolidarityNow’s aims and values
- Understanding of current issues affecting asylum seekers and refugees in Greece
- Experience of working with refugees and asylum seekers in Greece
- Knowledge of the structures of universities and student groups
- Experience of running an active and successful university student group
- Experience of organising activities and events with students
- Experience of delivering training
- Excellent communication skills, including report writing and public speaking.
- Experience of setting up and maintaining effective record keeping systems
- Proven ability to think strategically, make decisions and evaluate results
- Ability to prioritise workload, to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively as part of a small team and be flexible to change
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Graduate or part-time postgraduate student of universities, colleges in Thessaloniki (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, University of Macedonia, Alexander Technological Institute, City College etc)
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning in the subject line of the email subject “SN Student Group Coordinator/Thessaloniki”.
SN is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities and from vulnerable and disadvantaged groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date: 3rd March 2019
Remarks: Before submitting your CV, please read carefully the employees’ privacy notice on the processing of personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 and the respective Greek legislation.
For roles that will have regular contact with vulnerable populations SolidarityNow is obliged to seek information about criminal convictions and offences, and selected candidates will be requested to provide a recent copy of criminal record.
Following the preventive measures against COVID-19, holding a vaccination certificate or undergoing Covid-19 antigen tests as per government directions is mandatory.